ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 22 Jun 2005 09:33:04 -0500
7bit
From:
Katherine Paronto <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:

Hello everyone,

My Science Center is currently reviewing our membership policy.  I have some
questions about other Science Centers/zoos/museums' policies.  Specifically,
do you have any policies about background checks and/or checking registered
sex offender lists before accepting memberships?  We have a security
department that is very concerned about the safety of the children who
attend our center- they have policies and procedures in place for watching
the general public.   We, of course, do background checks on all employees
and volunteers.  Our members are not checked.  If you do check your list,
how do you deal with potential first amendment issues?  If you don't, do you
have any policies to protect your organization and the children who attend
it?  Do you know of any organizations that had an issue or incident with
something like this?  We haven't had any issues, but would like very much to
avoid them.  Thanks for all your help.

Katherine Patterson-Paronto
Education Manager
Science City at Union Station