Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 2004 00:12:40 +0100
From:
Anne Ozorio <[log in to unmask]>
Dave Harman wrote:

>Here's a CD I find myself returning to again and again,, all French
>Songs
>
>Artist: Veronique Gens
>Title: Nuit d'etoiles
>Songs by Faure, Debussy, Poulenc
>Virgin Classics CDC 7243 5 45360

Don't plunge big money into the Bernac set until you've learned more
about the music, composers and interpretive styles.  The Veronique Gens
recommendation is one of the finest recordings available.  With this,
you can start at the top without spending a lot.  It's a wonderful balance
of material, and the singing exemplifies what Bernac wanted in French
interpretation Her voice is ravishingly beautiful, richer and more agile
than his (of course, they're different!) She also sings the most astounding
Berlioz Nuits d'Ete I have ever heard and I've heard a few.  The renaissance
in French baroque performance in the last 20 years has inspired standards
of excellence that lend themselves well to modern French song.  It's a
really exciting development.  There's so much to look forward to.

Anne