Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 10:19:53 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
From a story about the tsunami, this good news about a baby being breastfed by family friend.

(You have to register to read the article, but I have copied below the entire portion that refers to the baby).

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Asia-Tsunami/A-village-destroyed-the-count-goes-on/2004/12/30/1104344930483.html?oneclick=true

"Senaka, a baby, cannot comprehend it, but her mother and brother are dead, her father is in hospital and her home, by the beach, has been washed away.

Two sisters and a brother survive, and like her, are being watched over by former neighbours at the school where they ran for refuge when the wave came on Sunday. Some say the foam reached as high as eight metres; they all know it wreaked its worst by 9.30am, sucking 48 children into its fatal vortex.

In her makeshift cradle - a sari wrapped around a beam - six-month-old Senaka knows nothing of these things. She is being breastfed by a family friend, Ranaseelan Jeweta, who is also nursing her own baby. "There's nobody else to do it. The mother is gone. I have to look after her. I have enough milk," she said."

Janice Reynolds

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2