HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Linda Derry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 2005 08:51:43 -0500
Kristin,

Let me share my experience with plexiglas:   As someone who has created some
inexpensive outdoor interpretive signs covered in Plexiglas let me warn you
about a couple of things concerning it - especially if you are in a warm
climate.  Bugs always find a way to get under it and die, and worse, other
stuff will thrive and grow under it.    Personally, in the South, I've found
the hardest part to maintaining an open excavation for a long period is
toweling away the moss, mold,and mildew  - plus those little dirt piles
created by bugs.  The Plexiglas will trap the moisture and make a micro
environment that will encourage this growth.  Basically, you will create
yourself a terrarium.  So much of the time, it will look like the mirror in
your bathroom after a hot shower.

When we made our signs, we were warned about yellowing of the plexi,but
oddly enough, 15 years later,  this has not really been much of a problem.

Linda Derry
Site Director
Old Cahawba Archaeological Site
719 Tremont Street