From:
Kirsten Berggren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 2004 16:05:35 -0500
Sorry to be chiming in late, but have one more idea to add:  How about
funding for pilot studies to get breastfeeding research projects started?
To submit a grant to any of the federal funding agencies, it is important
to have not just a good idea and lots of background info, but a little bit
of preliminary data is very helpful as well. However, finding the time and
money to get this preliminary data can be too big a hurdle for a lot of
small projects where investigators are funding out of their own pockets or
busy with other obligations.  There is an agency in Vermont that does this
kind of funding for the University of Vermont and local small businesses,
typically they fund $10K for 6 months for you to collect data and write
your grant, but funding in amounts as small as $500 to $1000 is often
enough to get a project off the ground.  As a researcher (who happens to be
trying to get a breastfeeding study started), I believe that there needs to
be a lot more published, evidence-based research supporting not only the
need for higher breastfeeding rates, but clinical research into what
methods are the most useful in bringing about these higher rates.  We agree
that more moms need to bf, but docs, hospitals, etc, need evidence to prove
HOW to increase these rates.  That's my plug for your millionaire!

Kirsten Berggren, PhD