From:
Maureen Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 12:24:57 EST
Kathy,
You are perfectly right.  This is the scenario we have been up against .  The
hospital that I work for has spent a lot of money to send their postpartum
RNs to a full day workshop on breastfeeding.  Nothing difficult--mainstream,
normal breastfeeding in the hospital setting, with how to help or avoid problems.
 We did include a piece on the near term infant, basically so the nurses
would stop expecting these babies to act and feed as full term infants.  We told
our manager and our director, and this is a quote, "You can spend all the money
you want on breastfeeding education.  It does no good if management will not
hold the nurses accountable for their practice."  So, their solution--to stop
the classes and continue to NOT hold the nurses accountable for their
practice.  Also, to cut our department's FTEs by one-third.  According to the
director, this will make the nurses accountable--they will have to do it.
I have to tell you, that's not what the mothers tell us in the breastfeeding
class that we run daily.
Thanks again for saying it so well.
Maureen Allen RN, BSN, IBCLC