From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 07:01:28 EST
In a message dated 12/28/2004 10:34:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

That poor  baby did not belong in a stranger's arms for several hours,
when she was  desperately, obviously searching for the familar scent and feel
of her  mother.  The parents actually complained the next day that the  night
nurses were "spoiling" their baby by holding her most of the  night.
I don't know how to go about changing this idea around here.   It's almost
physically painful to me to see some of these unhappy babies -  especially
the ones who are practically shouting that they want to  breastfeed in
newborn body language, but are denied even a single taste of  their mother's
milk.
Dear Friends:
    Jennifer speaks truth here; it is physically  painful to see a baby
suffer needlessly. All the newborn baby needs is the  mother, especially at night.
My only suggestion is to teach the mother to  breastfeeding lying down and
teach safe co-sleeping at the same time.
    Any other ideas?
    warmly,
Nikki Lee RN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CCE
Maternal-Child Adjunct  Faculty Union Institute and University
Film Reviews Editor, Journal of Human  Lactation
Support the WHO Code and the Mother-Friendly Childbirth  Initiative