Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2005 15:01:52 -0800
Dear Dr. Gordon,
    We just had a mom come in with a similar story.  She was determined not
to allow any bottles or formula.  She had purchased an SNS. (though I would
use a syringe and feeding tube - easier and much cheaper!) After the baby's
first feed at the breast she pumped and had the breastmilk ready to give so
that baby would receive any needed intervention at the breast.  She also put
the baby skin to skin.  She did not need to use the pumped milk and baby's
sugars - even with our protocol of 46, did not drop.  Mom was very pleased,
she was also firmly adamant that she was in control and had done the study
and prep ahead of time. Though the nurses thought she was somewhat pushy
once this episode had passed they all agreed that this delightful mom had
done the right thing!  Good luck to your mom.  Could she hire a
doula/lactation consultant to come with her?  Or possible have another
support person with her to help her remain strong?  Just a thought.  Judith
Markham IBCLC RLC