From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jan 1999 08:39:16 PST
Having initiated their Mozart's Contemporaries series, Hyperion is now
embarking on a Bach's Contemporaries series.  The first volume is out
and devoted to the sacred music of Johann Kuhnau(1660-1722).  Kuhnau has
received cd exposure in the past mainly through his instrumental music
including his "biblical" sonatas.

The disc is one of the best Baroque cd's I have heard in recent years.
The music is delectable in that beautiful melodies are consistently spun,
a very attractive "consort" music atmosphere is often provided, and the
performances are superb.  Robert King conducts the King's Consort with
vocal soloists including James Bowman and Deborah York.  York has a
heavenly voice which I hope to hear often in the future.  As for the
recording, it seems perfect to me - just the right mix of richness and
clarity with all proportions in perfect order.

Summing up, we have a HIP recording of a highly talented and accomplished
composer given the best advocacy possible.  Kuhnau is not Bach, but I
hardly noticed.  Kuhnau is also not Kuhlau, who was composing in the
1800's.  If you love Bach and HIP performance, this disc is mandatory.

Don Satz