From:
"Laura A. Mundt" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 12:38:23 -0700
I was just watching the local news (NBC affiliate in Portland, OR)
and they ran a story on the presence flame retardant chemicals in
breastmilk.  I was very pleasantly surprised by the story.  They
actually addressed the fact that health effects studies done on these
chemicals have been done on MICE and they stressed that it was still
important for moms to breastfeed.  Plus they showed several lovely
images of happy moms and babies breastfeeding, including some of the
moms who participated in a regional study on toxins in breastmilk and
who were present at the recent press conference.  I sent the news
station a nice email, thanking them for the decent story and
requesting that they show the breastfeeding campaign PSAs, since I
have yet to see any of them in Oregon.

And, continuing the thread of breastfeeding on television...last
week, on the Ellen Degeneres show, she talked about all of the
celebrity moms who were at the Emmy Awards, how they all told her
they loved watching her show, etc.  The last thing she said in this
part of her monologue was, "then all the moms had to leave to go
pump."  There was light laughter in the audience and I'm guessing
only about half of them figured out what she was talking about.  I
immediately pictured all of these celebrities walking around the red
carpet with their pump "briefcases" and "backpacks"!

Laura Mundt, ICCE
Portland, OR

PS  If you are in the Portland, OR area, kgw is supposed to run more
of the story in the 5 pm newscast.