From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 2004 08:30:46 EDT
In a message dated 8/30/2004 12:05:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
At that time, Hale's 2002 classification for demerol was L4 in the neonatal
period. While I think Hale's intent was that demerol is best not used during
that period, some drew the conclusion that if demerol IS used then baby should
not be breastfed until demerol is discontinued.

    Dear Friends:
        This is such a perverted use of Hale. Instead of finding a different
drug, practitioners are advising temporary weaning; Hale is being used here to
diminish breastfeeding instead of augmenting it! The list of drugs that are
actually contraindicated during lactation is very small; about 12? (See the AAP
list.)

As you all know, it is very frustrating when a baby does not nurse well
despite following all or most of the correct breastfeeding protocols.  It
just seems that there are so so many babies who do not nurse well.  We see
many babies and mothers who struggle mightily with breastfeeding.

    Yes there are many babies and mothers that can not nurse well. In the
hospital where I work, it is because they are hurt and/or injured after a
technologically driven birth. Can you imagine falling in love immediately after a car
accident? Can you imagine building a romantic relationship in rehabilitation?
    warmly,
Nikki Lee RN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CCE
Maternal-Child Adjunct Faculty Union Institute and University
Film Reviews Editor, Journal of Human Lactation
Support the WHO Code and the Mother-Friendly Childbirth Initiative