ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
John Bowditch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Aug 2004 10:50:21 -0400

I agree with most of what Tom is saying on this but I still think it's worth messing about with sound demos. Here's another idea which may or may not work: If you have a fairly large auditorium (we don't) string a loop of tight wire from the front to the back with two pulleys, one at the front and one at the back. (The whole thing should be like an old-time laundry line used in tenements.) and attach a little "car" holding a horn to this wire. Then use the pulley at the front of the room to move the car quickly to the back. My guess is that this would do quite nicely, at least for those sitting more or less in line with it.

By the way, I saw a re-creation of the original train experiment on a PBS show years ago where they had a group of trumpeters standing on a flatcar being pulled by a steam locomotive of the era. The whole "band" played a set note (I think "A") and proceeded down the track past the observer. All the time the whole ting was very well explained. You might want to contact PBS to see if you can track this video down. It was fun and great!

John Bowditch