HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 12 Jan 2006 19:30:43 -0500

In a message dated 1/12/2006 2:56:41 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Or if  there were transfer manufacturing companies that sold the same design
to  different companies?

Were their U.S. Patents on the patterns used by American pottery companies?
While we all have seen transfer print designs on both American and British
table  ware, I wonder if American potters patented the patterns? I have also
wondered  why we dont have a whole series of books on patented patterns?

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.

January 12, 2006 Hello all,     I have seen numerous descriptions of the transfer process and seen depicted many examples of British transfer sheets, but never have I seen anything similar about American made wares. I have also seen the same transfer design used by different manufacturers.     I know that decals in America were produced by companies that sold their designs to whoever wanted them (for instance the popular Bluebird decals). So I was wondering, does anyone know if transfer designs were similarly handled? Or if there were transfer manufacturing companies that sold the same design to different companies?     Thanks, S. Walter=