HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 10:45:27 -0400
I agree with the general tenor of thinking on the list.  While saving the
interior of buildings is a commendable thing, the reality is that one is often
fortunate to be able to save the exterior of a structure without alteration.

On several projects recently, I have well understood the idea that a building
not used is a building waiting to be razed, regardless of how important it
might be.  We are currently trying to get an old military building to be reused
as a biological field research center.  Its roof is compromised, floors
falling through and has not been used in decades.  An idea was put forth to put it
in mothballs, but our SHPO said that then you might as well tear it down.  It
would be down and vandalized in a short time anyway.  However, if turned into a
regularly used and maintained building, the first leak in the roof will be
fixed, windows will be maintained, paint will be added at regular intervals.  As
a consequence, however, the interior would most likely have to be upgraded to
modern standards.  Such are the compromises that are often necessary in CRM.

Mike Polk
Sagebrush Consultants, L.L.C.
Ogden, Utah