HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
sharon buford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 2004 18:46:50 -0700
I use the word tavern in the historical sense.
This particular site has 4 "guest rooms" which are in
an ell off the rear of the main building and have a
very high level of finish.
According to local history sources "elite farmers"
from Lexington would stop here while in route to Cin,
OH.

I have almost come to the conclusion that I should
make up a new word for the place.

It was a tavern, in the sense that there is evidence
that they sold "spirits", it was also an "inn" as the
travlers were given a "room or bed" for the evening.

Perhaps the word "tavrinn" would work :)
Sharon