From:
"Laura A. Mundt" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 10:23:29 -0700
Hi, Holly

In my hospital-based BF classes, I do talk about breastfeeding in
public.  I do it several different ways throughout the class, as
noted below.  I don't talk about the emotional aspect of it, however,
because I don't want to plant negative ideas in their heads.  They
may not be thinking much about breastfeeding in public at that point,
but if I start using words like "embarrassed" and "discrete", they
may think there is something to be embarrassed about.  I just put it
out there that it's going to happen and give them tips to make it
easier on them.

First, I pass out bookmarks that have the Oregon State law on it
stating that mothers can breastfeed anywhere they have the right to
be.

Second, I talk about it as part of the "accessories" for
breastfeeding segment, where we talk about nursing clothes (and all
sorts of other things) being a nice to have, not a have to have.  I
suggest they wear a t-shirt or shell or some other type of shirt that
can be lifted up from the bottom and suggest that they use a
cardigan, jacket, button-down shirt layered over another shirt, or a
sling to get more coverage from the sides, if they feel they need it
to be comfortable.  But I also tell them that unless someone catches
them right at the moment of latch on, no one can tell they are
nursing as opposed to just snuggling their babies.  I also mention
that putting a blanket over the shoulder is a red beacon to the world
that screams "I AM BREASTFEEDING." They usually get a giggle out of
that.

  Finally, when plugging our new mom's group, I talk about that as
being a very supportive place to breastfeed, they'll see lots of moms
and babies doing it, and that it is the place a lot moms breastfeed
for the first time outside of their own bedrooms and livingrooms.  I
also tell them it's okay to haul all the training wheels stuff they
need to use, such as pillows, to the new mom's group.

Once in awhile I mention the women's lounge at Nordstrom (our
regional upscale department store), as being a great place to
breastfeed because there are comfy sofas (in contrast to the hard
benches in the rest of the mall that don't encourage sitting for
extended periods of time), they are in a room separate from the
bathroom facilities and it can be a good place to connect with other
moms who are also breastfeeding there.

I have to say, I love the posts from the University of North
Dakota College of Nursing.  They are so well researched that I often
learn a thing or two from them (and I appreciate the citations, too!)

Laura Mundt, ICCE
Portland, OR