From:
katherine in atl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 2004 08:10:14 -0400
<< I would have suspected that enough of
> the placenta was intact to prevent induction of lactation given how
> little
> a placental fragment can suppress lactation in other women. Also some of
> the literature suggests a C section would delay milk by 24 hours...>>

we had *3* placental abruptions this summer in our doula group.  in all
of them, day 3 was the first day of copious milk supply.

like you mentioned,  i'd suspsect that the placenta would have to
completely abrupt in order for it to affect the beginning of lact II
given how sensitive the body can be to even a small bit of retained
placented.

i have seen some moms who nurse very very well  and very frequently from
the beginning have full milk supply at 48h.  and one of them was a
planned cesarean this past may (footling breech).  she also has the
'good equipment'  you describe;)

katherine in atl