From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 2004 15:30:00 +0000
At 10 days old, I think I would feed the baby by whatever method seems to
work best for him. You said he needs lots of stim and does better w/ a
narrow teat. It goes without saying to protect the milk supply by expressing
effectively and frequently. I would suggest the mother and baby do kangaroo
care (skin to skin) as much as possible 24/7. This will allow baby to
regroup, conserve energy, and find the mother's body a comforting place.
Watch for cues and let baby latch/suckle when he indicates interest.
Introduce a nipple shield once baby is feeding well on the artificial teat,
and is indicating an interest in breastfeeding. Of course, the family will
need lots of support as this may take weeks.

Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
New Orleans Louisiana, s.e. USA