ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Chad Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:35:25 -0600

We are currently building an earthquake exhibit here at the Edgerton
Explorit Center in Nebraska.  There are many resources within the USGS -
www.usgs.gov - and a great retired seismologist who is helping us -
http://www.jclahr.com/science/

Our exhibit will include three shake tables where kids can build structures
then see what frequency will knock them down.  We have a geophone
seismometer that the kids can jump up and down and see the waves on a
computer.  We will be putting up a 12' map of the world along with a live
updated map of current seismic activity around the world.  In the near
future we want to build a slinky wave demonstration.

Good luck - let us know what you find!

Chad Johnson
Experiential Educator
The Edgerton Explorit Center