From:
Larry Sherwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 21:05:12 -0500
The usually- well frequently- sensible Dave Lampson claims:

>With prices of superb SACD players in the $150 range ...

I find myself suspicious of that there are superb- or even very good-
SACD players for that price.  Perhaps Dave would care to specify make
and model of such devices?  It is frequently the case that the final
incarnations of an old technology are superior to that of the early
incarnations of a new technology, and I think (based on product reviews)
that there are CD players that provide sound superior to that of most
SACD players.

I've heard SACD only once, but I have it by people I consider authoritative
that many SACD releases are no better than Redbook (i.e.  plain old
ordinary) CDs.  That being said, SACD at its best is better than what
CDs can deliver.

Larry Sherwood