From:
Kelly Tier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 09:22:00 -0700
I have really enjoyed all the sling discussions. I would like to add my
favorite website to purchase slings: Kangaroo Korner

http://www.kangarookorner.com

I have no financial interest in this home-based company, but I am a
happy customer!

I am a "sling-freak" and my 2.5 year old daughter has never ridden in a
stroller. She is now 43 lbs and I stopped being able to wear her when
she turned 2 and was over 38 lbs. I currently own a Maya Wrap, a Moby
Wrap, a Baby Trekker (much more versatile than a Bjorn), a Kissa-sling,
and an Adjustable Fleece Pouch. I have also owned a Maya Pouch. I tried
Nojo slings when I first discovered them in 1998 when my twins were
almost 1 year old, but they did not work well for my husband or myself.
(The heavy padding interfered with the ability to cinch it tight enough
for my taste.) I found that I preferred different slings at different
developmental stages.

Several of our local LLL groups hold "Sling" meetings (enrichment
topic) and they are usually well-attended. We ask the moms who own
slings to bring in what they have and we share our likes/ dislikes and
allow moms to try each type on. We also have a local baby shop that
holds classes on purchasing and wearing slings.

Our local WIC office (Contra Costa County, CA) is in the planning
stages of making slings to distribute free of charge to its clients.
There are many websites with instructions to make slings. My neighbor
has made a beautiful sling from directions on the Maya Wrap website.

Nursing in the sling does take practice. One of the nice features of
Maya Wrap-type slings is that the "tail" is long and wide enough to
drape over your shoulder like a shawl which can allow Mom a little more
privacy while nursing. It also is nice for easily-distracted babies as
well.

Kelly Tier, LLL leader in the San Francisco Bay Area
mom to twins (7) and a nursling (2.5)