ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Wendy Pollock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Dec 2003 12:11:27 -0500

Message from Bonnie VanDorn, ASTC executive director:

Dear listserv members,

Several of you have voiced your concern over the scheduling of the 2004
ASTC Annual Conference. The dates are unusually early this year because
of a Board decision made in May 2001. Traditionally, we had always
scheduled ASTC conferences on the long weekend when Columbus Day is
observed in the U.S., overlooking the conflict it posed for our Canadian
members, whose Thanksgiving falls on the second Monday in October.

Because host sites and dates for ASTC conferences are set several years
in advance, after that 2001 meeting, we contacted the hosts of upcoming
conferences in an attempt to reschedule as many as possible. It is
difficult to find substitute hotel and convention center openings during
the busy fall conference season, so the Board authorized us to consider
a range of dates from September through November. That is why we ended
up going to St. Paul in November 2003, and why we will be in San Jose
September 18-21 next year.

With Rosh Hashanah beginning at sunset on Sept 15 and ending at sunset
on Sept 17, we know that the pre- and postconference schedule will have
to be a little different in San Jose. Workshops and other events usually
scheduled in advance of the conference will take place following the
conference on Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday. We apologize for any
inconvenience and ask that you bear with us as we try to accommodate the
holiday observances of our diverse international group.

Bonnie VanDorn

Wendy Pollock
Director
Research, Publications, and Exhibitions
Association of Science-Technology Centers
1025 Vermont Avenue, NW, Suite 500
Washington, DC 20005
202/783-7200 x 114
202/783-7207 (fax)