From:
Shannon McElearney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 2004 12:38:30 -0400
This has come up when a pregnant friend of mine asked my medical opinion
on what "correct" answer should she expect when asking breastfeeding
question during a pediatrician interview.  Specifically, she wanted to
know that if she asked "under what conditions would you recommend
supplementing in the first two weeks of life" and wanted to know weight
loss percentages, etc.  I'm usually a gestalt kind of person, so coming up
with good questions/answers for her was difficult.

What do you consider to be good answers and good questions for expectant
mothers in choosing pediatricians with regards to breastfeeding?  How
would you recommend a lay person distinguish between a good "talker" and
someone who will actually support her when needed?

Thanks!
Shannon Tierney McElearney, MD
UVA
breastfeeding mom to 15 month old Jack who can sign "helicopter"
and "elephant" but not "milk"