From:
Robert Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2005 23:39:51 +0100
Anne Ozorio wrote:

>As with Steve and Leon, I think that rushing too fast to judgement without
>seeking out facts is unwise: that's what "they" did and we don't want
>to be even remotely like "them".  (but I know from experience Robert has
>a good and true heart).

Thank you - but apart from this I mentioned some pretty nasty facts
about Strauss.

>One day I was working in the archives and keyed in a wrong search number.
>To my amazement out popped Furtwangler's original file from 1945/6 which
>gave details of his denazification trial, evidence pro and con.  The
>enquiries were extensive but he was cleared.  After all, he had stood
>up to Goebbels and gone into temporary internal exile.

This is not a hero for me.  Furtwangler knew that he was of importance
to the regime.  He lived in prosperity.  Other composers were gassed.
Now who are the real victims we should pity: Furtwangler, Karajan and
Strauss or artists who died in Auschwitz?

Robert