From:
Nick Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 2004 18:44:38 -0400
John Smyth asked for advance word on the soon-to-be-released Telarc/Robert
Spano sourround recording of the Berlioz Requiem with the Atlanta Symphony
Orchestra and Chorus and tenor Frank Lopardo.

I sang in the chorus and wrote the booklet notes for this recording.
We expect it to be spectacular.  There are others on this list who heard
that weekend's performances in the audience; it would be interesting to
hear their reactions.

The forces were recorded mostly in the same positions they occupied for
the performances: timpani and tam-tams across the front of the stage,
directly behind the conductor's back; the 4 brass ensembles at the two
downstage corners of the stage and the two forward corners of the lower
balcony; the chorus onstage behind the orchestra.  The tenor soloist was
moved to the rear of the lower balcony.

Not only was the racket deafening in the performances, but we noticed
that the orchestral ensemble was especially tight, particularly within
and between the far-flung brass groups.  One musically knowledgeable
chorister opined that this would be the most "chamber-music" Berlioz
Requiem ever - in terms of close ensemble playing, though obviously not
in terms of scale and intimacy.

By the way, I discovered yesterday that Telarc is currently taking advance
orders for the 2-channel CD version at a discounted price of US$14.99
on their website: http://www.telarc.com/Classical/title.asp?sku=CD-80627.
They also are offering discounts on Spano's other ASO/Telarc recordings.
(No mention of a discount on the SACD version, which of course you would
need in order to hear the brass in surround sound.)

We're looking forward in Atlanta to recording choral works during the
coming season by Osvaldo Golijov, John Adams, Christopher Theofanidis,
and David Del Tredici.  The latter two will be world premieres of
ASO-commissioned works.

Nick Jones
Program Annotator
Atlanta Symphony Orchestra