ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 14:15:15 -0700

Eric,
        I did an exhibit a number of years ago called
the Environmental Monitoring Center where we did
exhibits on water, air, land use issues, weather, and
humans as part of the environment...we had lots of
real time data and exhibits about major environmental
issues... I felt mixed success in how effective it was
with the public...
        It's hard to do real-time-hands-on exhibit stations
about the environment... so much of what you are
trying to approach is larger scale, longer term trends
that don't happen in the scale and time a visitor can
see... this means that visitors have to make a level
of abstraction from the real world and concrete experience
(which are always the best exhibits in my view.)  It is
really important to answer the visitor's question, "Why
should I pay attention to this exhibit... what does it mean
in my life?"  CO2 and the ozone, along with acid rain and
other environmental factors are obviously important, but
how does it relate to my life and my life decisions?  Am I
willing to give up my SUV in order to reduce the emissions?
Am I willing to fix the oil leak from my car, so it won't get
into the streams and waterways?
        So, be careful not to do a 'heady' exhibit telling people
'about the environment'... figure out how to make it relevant
to them and their lives.

David

David Taylor
AHHA Museum Services