ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 2004 07:27:18 -0700

I agree with Mano's perceptions.  Particularly the second point,
the technology must be integrated with the context and be
inquiry-based... the technology has to be a way to support the
learning, not the object of the learning itself.

During a marine biology summer camp I studied last summer,
probes, algae nets, microscopes and other pieces of lab equipment
were used by the kids as part of a way to learn about the marine
environment.  Before using the technology, lots of time was spent
developing an appreciation for the parts of the environment and
forming hypotheses that they would use the technology to investigate.
After their experimentation, they had to explain how their findings
supported or didn't support their hypotheses, and form new hypotheses.

Dave Taylor