From:
Mike Leghorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2005 18:15:08 -0600
Robert Peters wrote:

>Actually I think that a lot of Strausss and Orffs music is pretty hollow.

I consider Strauss' best tone poems to be works of towering genius: Don
Juan, Til Eulenspiegel, Zarathustra, Ein Heldenleben, Alpine Symphony
(and maybe Don Quixote).  His accomplishments with orchestration are
unique and unrivaled.  This is anything but hollow.  Just because his
music wasn't an expression of deep neurosis doesn't make it lack depth.
I've recently gone through a Strauss period, and have been in total awe
of Don Juan.  I consider it to be one of the most amazing accomplishments
in music, and by a 24-year-old!

Btw, I am very pleased with the Previn/VPO recordings of all of the above
(except Til Eulenspiegel) on Telarc.

About Orff, I'm only familiar with Carmina Burana, which I like very much.
I like it for what it is.  It takes me to another place.  (I know there
was a thread about this recently.  I give Carmina Burana a hearty thumbs
up!)

>Schuberts friendliness

Schubert "Friendly"?  I guess that's like me saying the universe is pink
because I'm looking at the pink clothes that my daughter has on right
now.

Mike Leghorn
Evanston, Il.