Bill Boletta <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 9 Jul 2004 22:53:37 -0700
I know that most of you on this list must know how utterly frustrating
it can be to have a familiar melody running through your head and not
be able to place it.

For the past three weeks, I have been trying to identify a melodic phrase
that just has me stumped.  I'm not sure how to describe the melody without
musical notation, but I'll try.  It is in duple meter, probably 4/4 time.

Dotted eighth D
Sixteenth F-sharp
Eighth A
Eighth A
Half A

Dotted eighth C-sharp
Sixteenth E
Eighth A
Eighth A
Half A

Dotted eighth G
Sixteenth B
Eighth D
Eighth D
Half D

Dotted eighth F-sharp
Sixteenth A
Eighth D
Eighth D
Half D

ETC.

I think it is from a Haydn symphony, but for the life of me I can't find
it.  I'm also not sure of the key.  I have given it in D major. It may
be in another key.

If anyone can identify the source of this melody, I would very much
appreciate your sending the info.  to me at: [log in to unmask]

Many thanks,

Bill Boletta