From:
Linda Anderegg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 15:22:25 -0500
Thanks for your comments, Jan, and that's exactly what I'm trying to find out.  Does it make any difference if you change the temp of milk already cooled or is it actually beneficial to add fresh macrophages etc?  Does opening and closing the container to pump into it again present a risk for contamination, or is it better to use the same container so you're not losing beneficial components of the milk when you're transferring it from one container to another?  Does transferring milk to a different container pose more of a risk of contaminating the milk?  If a mom is pumping colostrum in the hospital is it okay for her to keep using the same container until she has enough volume to feed to the baby (if it hasn't gotten all dried to the container in the meantime)?  If it is okay, should she cap the container between uses or just leave it attached to the pump?  My sense of logic tells me one thing but when you consider the antibacterial properties of milk is it totally unfounded in fact?  Why is it not okay to add warm milk to frozen milk?  You're going to put it right back in the freezer so it's not really going to turn the frozen milk slushy, is it?  Even if it does turn slushy, does it make any difference if it's immediately brought back to a freezing temperature?  Hmmm.  I think I'll experiment with the gallon of cow's milk in my fridge that's going to go to waste.
Too many questions on a cloudy day!   Let us know if you find that purple duct tape.

Linda Anderegg, BSN, RNC, IBCLC