Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 07:43:00 EDT
Mary Kay said,
***************************************

I wonder  if we asked: "what do you need to know about feeding your baby?" or
"How can  we help you feed your baby?" and hope that she doesn't say....give
me bottles.  :-)

I had a very interesting experience yesterday.  Our dd is pregnant w/  our
first grandbaby, and yesterday was the breastfeeding class at the hospital
where she is to birth.  (Though I have a sneaking suspicion she will  DELIVER
there, if you get my drift).  Anyway, since her husband had to  work, I offered to
go with her, and she said I could if I would promise to not  say anything.
Duct tape in hand, I attended.  It was taught by a  former L&D and Peds
intensive care nurse.  She had evidently taught  this class for some time, as she
really knew her material.  Unfortunately,  the material she knew was woefully out
of date, as were the slides she showed --  some being nearly 20 years old (I
knew the "model" and her baby in the  slides).  It was a three hour class with
one 10 minute break.  No  introductions except of herself.  After each
segment she would ask if there  were any questions, but rather than starting the
class with something along the  lines of "tell us what you have heard about
breastfeeding," or "Tell us what you  would like to get out of this class" she
jumped into her spiel and didn't let up  for the three hours.

1.  Lots of really OLD information -- and lots of bf myths  perpetuated.  I
have some fresh information for one of the lectures I do on  breastfeeding
myths....
2.  Info on pumps absolutely HOPELESS -- she told the class the goal  when
using a pump was to get to the point where the both the cycles and the  "vaccum"
were as high as possible (cringe!!)
3.  If you need to see the LC at the hospital, let the nurse know, and  they
will see you sometime before you go home  (Oh, THAT is useful when the  baby
won't latch NOW)
4.  Lots of rules, including a full feeding is 10 to 15 minutes;  anything
shorter than that is snacking, never let the baby fall asleep at the  breast,
and only use one breast per feed.
5.  The AAP says that you should exclusively breastfeed for 12  months.  I
did speak up then and said in an incredulous voice (sounding  very much like a
grandmother) -- "You mean you don't start solid foods until the  baby is a year
old???  In an annoyed tone, she said, "Well, of COURSE  not.  YOu start solid
foods at 6 months.  I meant FORMULA."   (Then why didn't you say so?
Exclusive also means no solids.).

There was more, but I'll spare you.  I was glad I was there so I could
correct some of the misinformation for my daughter.  That is not to say it  was all
bad -- there was some good stuff -- the best being that each mom got a  copy
of Amy Spangler's book (YAY Amy!!).  But my real feeling at the end of  it
was, "Why on earth would anyone want to breastfeed?  Way too many rules  -- it is
so COMPLICATED -- why even bother?  She SAID babies take bottles  much easier
-- just give me a bottle."  Interestingly enough, other than  saying she had
breastfed her own children, there was no real enthusiasm or  excitement about
breastfeeding --  nor any real reason why anyone should do  it.  So, Mary Kay,
if they DO ask for the bottle in L&D, perhaps now we  know why -- at least in
some hospitals, in some cases.

I do realize that not all breastfeeding classes are like this, especially
those taught by lactnetters!   I've never attended one, ever.   This was my
first.  (I've taught 'em, but never gone to one).  I think  it should be a
requirement that anyone who is going to teach bf classes  at the very least be a
regular reader of Lactnet.  At the very  least, they would learn new and updated
information on a regular basis.

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC
Wheaton  IL
www.lactationeducationconsultants.com