Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
JP Bonner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 2004 22:27:54 -0400
Brenda,
I have long term experience with two of my children with the lactaid and
SNS.  I would recommend the lactaid over the sns for several reasons.
The lactaid is fighting gravity where the sns is not.  the lactaid has a
smaller tube to minimize the supplementation and maximize what baby is
taking from the breast.  The baby has to work harder with the lactaid but
this is better for her production, assuming baby is latched enough to
stimulate her.   I would encourage her to pinch the tube in the beginning
stimulating let down - they get too used to the instant milk in the
supplementer and this may keep baby from ever nursing without it.
I would encourage her to pump and make sure that her supply stays up!  I
have known children that seemed to one day just pull out the tube and go
without.  Perhaps this child will do this after some time.
I really wanted to offer encouragement to her, yes it is more work than
just breastfeeding but still so rewarding to be able to breastfeed
despite needing to supplement and all the ammenities that go with it!
JP
p.s. it may not apply to her but if she has internet access, she could
access my group - [log in to unmask] or go to
www.fourfriends.com/abrw to get some support from other mothers that use
the supplementers!  It may make the difference in whether she sticks with
it!