From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jun 2004 07:56:12 +0200
Thanks, Pam, for an elucidating post.  You manage to show the positive
aspects of individual responsibility better than I have seen in a long time,
if ever.  Putting women's strength in that context gave me a new view of it.
I don't think it has changed my mind but it certainly has broadened it!
Norway was in danger of losing its breastfeeding culture, in the mid-1960's
when continuation rates were at their lowest recorded ebb since statistics
started being kept over 100 years previously.  It was fortuitous action by a
few enraged and concerned mothers that led to an ultimate change in policy
so that formula advertising disappeared before irreparable damage was done.
It took another 10 years to educate health workers so they didn't
unwittingly sabotage breastfeeding too.  In a smaller country you don't need
a critical mass of such dimensions to effect change.
And we only just now, on June 1, started reaping the benefits of a new law
banning smoking anywhere food and/or drink is served.  That was a much
harder nut to crack.  (Of course, many people will switch to snuff à la
Sweden rather than go without nicotine, but at least the air will be fit to
breathe!)
Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway