HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Robert Muckle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 2004 15:11:55 -0700
I am looking for some comparative information to help in my
interpretation of a feature in a circa 1920 Japanese logging camp I am
excavating on the west Coast of Canada. I think the feature may be a
Japanese bath (a.k.a. ofuro). The camp evidently burned to the ground,
probably in 1924.

The bath, which is in a fairly advanced state of deterioration,  was
fashioned from thin metal and nailed into wood. It fits into an
depression in the ground about two feet deep, eight feet long, and four
feet wide.  Based on the presence of nails I suspect the bath was within
a building measuring about 10 feet by 15 feet. Besides nails, other
items found in association include metal pipe, several pieces of beer
and sake bottles, several small pieces of window glass, and a small
bottle (maybe opium?).

I know from a search of textual records that the building of baths was
a priority for Japanese when setting up camps of various sorts, but have
been unable to find any relevant written descriptions or images.

I would be pleased to hear suggestions or opinions.

Bob Muckle