HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Linda Derry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 2004 18:13:03 -0500
Charles,

First,I'm not sure to whom your remarks were addressed, but I hope you
didn't think my message was "grousing,"  because I wasn't.  I genuinely
wanted to hear from others on the list about how they would categorize the
sherd illustrated :  edged creamware or hand painted creamware or something
else.

I really hoped that someone would address my content question rather than go
for the easy "grousing," or even the more creative (but still way too easy)
"grousing about grousing"  response. <grin>

So, seriously,  was my question too naïve?  What gives?

Secondly, I think the best part, the most courageous part, of FL web site is
that they put it out there, so we CAN discuss it in an open forum.  I'm
thinking that if we can sort some of this out on the listserve, and come to
some agreement, or find out what the stuff is that we can't agree upon, THEN
we have done something much more constructive that if each of us contact FL
with our own narrow take on ceramic typology. (& from my experience, ceramic
identification does seem to vary a great deal according to the academic
clique that one springs forth from).

I guess, my take on the whole situation is that we all could, and should,
benefit from an open discussion on their categories.  Therefore, I disagree
that the appropriate response to this web page is just a one way information
flow into the FL webmaster.

Linda Derry
Site Director
Old Cahawba Archaeological Site