HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 12 Jun 2004 11:03:39 -0400
From:
Bob Hoover <[log in to unmask]>
Greek!!! Now I have heard everything.  Some have claimed that the Chumash
were one of the Lost Tribes of Israel, East Asians, and the latest is that they
were really Polynesians who sailed off course. While I don't completely reject
the possibility of occasional accidental contact by these groups (sans the
Israelites), I see no reason to deny the Chumash their due as an advanced and
complex group of Aboriginal Americans.  They certainly were not Greek, as there
is ample evidence that they made clear distinctions between gender roles, in
contrast to the Classical Greeks.  You may have a better case with the Plains
groups!