HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol McDavid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 May 2004 08:58:25 -0700
Apologies for multiple postings:

As those on this listserv know, the Society for Historical Archaeology (SHA) is having its annual meeting in York, England, from 5-10 January, 2005. Several of us who have been involved in the African American Archaeology Workshops held at SHA over the past decade would like to put together a forum to explore the connective nature of African Diaspora studies in Britain, Africa and the Americas. (This was in fact the original idea for the African American Archaeology workshop back in 1991, as Tom Wheaton and others will remember). The discussion topics chosen will be based on our list of participants and their interests, although we hope that additional ideas will emerge during group discussions. Our initial plan for the forum (which is subject to change based on input from those who respond to this email!) is to have an introduction to provide an organizational framework, followed by very short presentations from each panelist (no more than 5-8 minutes), followed by group discussion of the issues raised by the panelists.

The forum will be submitted under the SHA's guidelines for "Forums/Panel Discussions", and will be sheduled to last 2-4 hours, depending on the number of participants. Although the group discussion will be open to all comers, we do need to prepare the abstract, identify the primary panelists, and submit the usual packets (with registration forms and preregistration fees) by the submission deadline of 1 June, 2004.

We are seeking participants who work in the UK, the Americas, the Caribbean, and Africa -- in fact anywhere that African Diaspora studies are being undertaken. We would also appreciate knowing if you are interested in attending the discussion, even if not as a formal panelist. That way we can judge the overall level of interest and have a better idea of how to plan the forum.

If you are interested in participating in this type of forum, please contact either Carol McDavid at [log in to unmask] or Jamie Brandon at [log in to unmask] with your contact information as well as a general idea of your research interests and what you might like to discuss. (Carol will be out of town from May 3 - 13, so during that period it's best to contact Jamie directly).

Carol McDavid, Ph.D.
1638 Branard, Houston, Texas, 77006, USA
(713) 523-2649
www.webarchaeology.com

*****