ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2005 08:49:07 -0800

I have been studying girls and science extensively in my
Ph.D. research... here are some of my thoughts and findings
and some references to what others are doing...

Many programs exist around the country promoting girls and
science as you have already seen from the email responses.
Other groups that are doing work in this area include Girl Scouts,
Campfire, Girls Inc., and many engineering and science professional
societies.  These are good ways to team up to be more effective
and get folks to help with your programs.

The Franklin Institute and Girls Scouts have developed an extensive
program called Girls at the Center.  (A book on this program is referenced
below.)

Camp-Ins which are now done at many museums, started as a program
at COSI to bring more girls into the museum.

Pacific Science Center offers at least two week long all-girls camps in
some area of science.  When I studied these camps vs. the same camps
that were mixed gender, I found that without councilor intervention, in the
mixed gender camps, the guys would almost always want to be the doers
and leave the girls to be the recorders of information (similar to what has
long occurred in high school lab situations) while in the all-girls camps
the girls were very good about making sure that everyone had a chance
to play each role.

A major problem is that one time events and experiences, while
they can create an initial excitement, are often overwhelmed by all the
other day to day messages that girls get about what appropriate areas
of study are for them.  Messages that girls  received from parents,
teachers, peers and the media are pervasive in indicating that science
and even more technology are not girl-spaces even 60 years after Rosy
the Riveter showed that women could do the work that a man could if
given the support and encouragement.

In my research on families visiting exhibits I have found a real difference
in when whole families visit together vs. when mom and daughter visit
alone.  When mom and daughters visit, they tend to do the exhibits together
and share the experience.  In a typical family of 4 (mom, dad, son,
daughter) the kids will generally 'do' the exhibits first, then if dad wants
to try it he will, but by the time moms turn comes around she will often
give up her turn so the family can move on.  She also generally is the one
carrying the coats and doing the support roles.  While this is very
supportive of the needs of the family, what message does this send to
sons and daughters about the role of women in life.  Mom is often the role
model for what the kids will expect women to be like when they grow up.
When I have talked to moms about this a light suddenly seems to go on.
They had been thinking, I'm here for my kids experience, and I didn't even
think about what message I might be sending.  So, encourage moms and
daughter visits with your members and visitors.