ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jason Jay Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Dec 2003 14:40:19 -0500

Somebody recently forwarded this to me...I couldn't
resist...

> SEEKING THE BRAINS BUY BUTTON
> Backed by funding from major corporations, Researchers at
Emory University are undergoing intensive studies of the human
brain looking for what has been coined the buy button. This new pursuit
of consumer control, known as neuromarketing, involves
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) on live subjects to find
the specific part of the brain that is activated when a
consumer is successfully wooed by an advertisement into
purchasing a product. Using the data from this research,
marketers hope to be able to create ads that follow the exact
neurological pathways that ultimately activate the buy
button in consumers.
According to a letter to the Emory University from a
coalition of groups opposed to this research, If Emory
University takes its own mission seriously, it should
challenge this abuse of medical knowledge and technology to
manipulate people for commercial purposes.
http://www.organicconsumers.org/corp/neuromarketing.cfm

> >ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
> >Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.
> >*****************************************************************************
> >
> >We're preparing to open a new sharks exhibit in April, and in
> >conjunction with the exhibit we're launching a campaign to encourage
> >visitors to change a specific consumer behavior in order to protect
> >shark species in the wild. We want to identify a specific action
> >that people can do, are willing to do and that will have a positive
> >impact -- no matter whether it's large or small. Since the action
> >will be tied closely to the exhibition content, this is different
> >from a broad-based recommendation like recycle or don't pollute, or
> >suggesting general civic behaviors such as support this issue or
> >write your legislator.
> >
> >My question for the list:
> >
> >* Has anyone ever attempted to get visitors to change a specific
> >behavior (don't buy this; or do buy that) in support of an
> >environmental conservation goal?
> >
> >* How did you go about it? How successful were you? How did you
> >measure your success, or lack of success?
> >
> >We're familiar with both the conservation psychology and social
> >marketing literature and are looking more specifically for examples
> >of successful conservation-related consumer behaviors encouraged by
> >free-choice learning institutions.
> >
> >Any information you can offer will be of tremendous help.
> >

> >Jenny Sayre RAMBERG
> >Exhibit Developer/Writer
> >Monterey Bay Aquarium
> >886 Cannery Row
> >Monterey, CA 93940
> >On the web at www.montereybayaquarium.org
> >Our mission is to inspire conservation of the oceans.
> >Celebrating our 20th anniversary in 2004
> >
> >***********************************************************************
> >More information about the Informal Science Education Network and the
> >Association of Science-Technology Centers may be found at http://www.astc.org.
> >To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
> >message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to

JasonJayStevens

mediaArts+Sound
www.potterbelmar.org

exhibitDesign+Development