Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 19:13:22 +0000
We seem to have some mixed opinions concerning the placement of the
first violins in the Gallois performances on Naxos of Mozart's two
Flute Concertos and the Concerto for Flute and Harp.

Jan Templiner states that the placement is on the right, while Scott
Morrison hears them on the left.  Both have indicated that the proper
placement is to the left.

One reason that the gentlemen differ on acutal placement might be that,
regardless what side they are on, the first violins are not strongly
projected.  Also, I'm still not clear as to why it is improper for the
first violins to be placed to the right as long as they are given their
own sound corridor.  My basic problem with the Gallois first violins is
that they make little impact.

A third poster noted that the liner notes clearly state that the first
violins are situated on the right, second violins to the left.  I should
have read the liner notes more carefully, but I don't see any problem
with this particular placement of violins.

Gallois gives us modern instrument performances within a HIP sensibility,
and he takes great liberties with the flute parts.  These are the two
crucial factors in determining the worth of the performances, pro or
con.  I wouldn't want those interested in the disc to start thinking
that the violin placement is more than a minor issue.

Don Satz