Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 27 Nov 2004 21:05:03 -0800
From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Barber's "Vanessa" is out now on Chandos SACD--it's *only* available on
SACD hybrid, (it still plays in regular CD players), and is priced for
mortals, at least by Chandos standards--$36.00USD. Smart move on Chandos'
part.

First-timer here for this opera.  It's remarkably melodic with the same
seemingly effortless, gratifying fluency of other Barber pieces like the
Concerti and Essays.  There are few "big" "book-ended" melodies like one
would encounter in, say, Puccini, but they are there, and quite haunting.
"Love has a bitter core," and "Must the winter come so soon are two
highlights.

Most of the opera is through-composed and moves fast, but the orchestration
and harmonies grip the ear from beginning to end.  Obviously it's in
English, and the libretto, though over the top, lends itself well to
Barber's music.  (Though phrases like "take care of my Parakeet" sound
so much better in languages I don't understand...).

A haunting, beautiful work.

John Smyth
Sac, CA