From:
Cheryl Dawn Marian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 May 2004 10:46:48 -0400
I would assure the parents also, that the choice to rent was probably a
better choice.  Since mom needed the pump to establish supply and if all
goes as intended she will not need it longer than a month and can
breastfeed with only occasionally (or never) needing to pump a spare
bottle.

Sounds like the pharmacist wanted to make a quick profit thinking that the
parents would only need the rental for a short time.  Actually, one makes
better profit on a rental if the parents need to rent for a longer
period.  But the pharmacist must see a lot of only one or two month
renters.

I have a client who quit renting from a colleague to buy a Pump In Style
because baby clamps so badly, she always gets a striking white crease on
nipple, 2 IBCLC's and myself have tried different means but mom just pumps
and bottle feeds now. (12 weeks old, now) I have suggested tongue clipping
(to discuss with doc because I feel baby cannot extend tongue well),
cranio-sacral and even nifedipine as a suggestion to give the doctor since
I think she has some Raynauds due to the trauma of the nipple.  She just
cringes if she puts baby to breast. (If she can take some of the pain away
with the nifedipine we could work on latch without the fear.) She has
tried finger feeding, some cup feeding and one IBCLC had her trying a
nipple shield (that was a total failure). She isn't going for any of the 3
suggestions I have given her....But since she is using the PIS full time
her nipples are very sore even at the lowest suction, she is finally using
the x-large flanges I got for her.  I feel she should use a rental again
because of the frequency of use, the irritation, and her milk supply has
dipped, (she is using domperidone) but since she spent $199.00 (!)from
Internet on the PIS she is not willing to go back to renting.  A Symphony
would probably be ideal in her case, because of the gentleness.

I think with some moms it is just the idea of having to pay on a recurring
basis instead of owning and the LC she rented from has very reasonable
rates. They just don't understand how one could be so different from the
other.  The funny thing is she doesn't mind paying consult fees.

Cheryl