Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Judy Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 May 2004 12:23:34 -0700
http://www.cityofseattle.net/util/services/waterquality/lead.htm

Never make baby formula or other drinks or food for children with HOT water
tap. Start with water taken from the cold water faucet (after flushing) and
warm it if necessary;

Along the thread of warming EBM, some parents feeding formula mix powder
with warm/hot city tap water to initially dissolve it and then add cooler
water.  Due to the recent news of several older Seattle schools (and
probably older housing is affected as well) testing for high lead levels due
to old corroded iron water pipes,

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/153034_water18xx.html

the Seattle city website says never to use the hot faucet tap for making
formula, food or drink.  For years I have observed moms in public restrooms
using the warm tap.  I always mention water for babies, cooking and drinking
should come only from the cold tap after it has run a bit to a cold
temperature in order to empty any standing contaminated water.

Most pediatric offices do not instruct formula feeding parents to 1.  not
use fluoridated city water and 2.  to not use warm or hot tap water to
dissolve formula powder.  Usage of both results in trace heavy metal
contamination and in this case of 10x higher lead.  Fluoridation itself also
causes more and quicker corrosion of older pipes.  I have read an in-house
City of Tacoma engineers letter that stated a drop in lead levels from 32ppb
to 17ppb in short order, when fluoridation was discontinued in a drought
summer.

Just making up the formula is risky to infants brains.

Judy Ritchie