Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 16:35:44 +0100
In Stacey's original post I gathered that the mother had called the nurse's
station to ask for help getting her sleepy baby back into cot, as she was
unable to do so alone.  It seems there was a lag of 15 minutes before that
request was answered, during which time the baby died.
If mother were entirely alert and awake, it is most unusual that she didn't
react to the baby not showing any signs of life while in her arms, and call
for help more urgently.  If she had received medication that lowered her
alertness, it simply underscores the danger of leaving an intoxicated adult
alone with a baby - of any age.  The ability of women shortly after
cesareans to react swiftly and energetically when their babies spit up
amniotic fluid and seem to choke, is impressive.  Something rare was going
on in this case, most likely that the baby had a serious condition that was
incompatible with life, but it could be something horrifying about the
mother too.  We don't know and we have no basis on which to judge.
What the cause of death was is immaterial if the mother was unable to notice
the difference between sleeping and dead.  It may not have made one bit of
difference to the outcome, but I bet this mother would feel differently if
she had tried to sound the alarm on seeing that the baby was lifeless,
rather than patiently waiting for staff to move what she thought was a
sleeping baby into the cot.
Healthy newborn babies don't simply burrow into a breast and suffocate.  It
is too bad there will be no autopsy, because it might well have shed light
on the cause.  It wasn't the breastfeeding, that much I am sure of.
Baby Friendly UK has published guidelines for safe bed sharing, in light of
the newest information we have about it.  They strongly urge hospitals to
have clear policies about this; one point in such a policy would be the
provision of appropriate care when baby is with a very tired mother or one
under the influence of medications.  You can read their statement about it
at:
http://www.babyfriendly.org.uk/mailing/updates/research_update_20040216.htm

Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway