ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Tom Keating <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 2004 16:47:15 -0800

Greetings all,

I am interested in putting together a session that considers existing and
potential avenues for partnership between museums and universities. In the
past three years, the Tech Museum of Innovation has forged a number of
partnerships with local universities. These include:

San Jose State University:

- Elementary Science Methods students attend one three-hour session at The
Tech learning about our Design Challenge pedagogical model

- A Graduate Seminar, Learning in a High Tech Environment, is held at The
Tech

- MA students from the School of Education complete research projects in the
museum setting for their Master's project

- Offer an NSF funded Physical Science Teacher Professional Development
Institute in collaboration with faculty from the School of Engineering

Stanford University:

- NIH funded development and implementation of a Genetics Exhibit with
Stanford faculty member as Co-PI and graduate students completing TAships in
support of the exhibit

- Partnering with faculty from Stanford's Institute for the Environment on
initial concept for new environmental technology exhibit

- MA students in School of Education's Learning, Design, and Technology
Program complete internships at Tech

University of California Santa Cruz:

- Exploring connections with New Teacher Center

- Participate in Center for Informal Learning and Schools activities

These are just a few examples of from many possibilities. My particular
focus is teacher professional development. I would find it useful to hear
from others involved in this kind of work. The session can serve as an
opportunity to share stories (things that worked and did not work) and to
brainstorm ways to leverage these partnerships for mutual benefit.

I look forward to hearing from all interested parties.

All the best.....Tom

Tom Keating, Ph.D.
Director of Education and Teacher Professional Development
The Tech Museum of Innovation
201 South Market Street
San Jose, CA 95113
408-795-6141