ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Stefan Sommer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 08:18:07 -0600

Dear Stephen, Martin, et al.,
     The attack of U.S. fundamentalist christianity on evolution is a
pitched battle motivated by deep feelings. The defense is much weaker,
but also deeply felt. You are right that the anti-evolution sentiments
generally translate into strong anti-science feelings. The fighting is
unnecessary, destructive, and counterproductive. I am not
Judeo-Christian myself, but I have often tried to "lower the
battlements" by honoring Judeo-Christian values as I teach evolution.
One excellent example of this is a 27 minute movie called "Keeping the
Earth: religious and scientific perspectives on the environment." It is
produced by New Wrinkle Productions and available through the Union of
Concerned Scientists. It is a powerful piece that honors both sides in a
joint exploration of science and religion's understanding of "the
creation".
     This piece is narrated by James Earl Jones. It features E.O.
Wilson, Jane Lubchenko, and other scientists alongside of
Judeo-Christian leaders and all of them are speaking compassionately to
the same end. It is very well done and is an instructive example of
culture-bridging pedagogy. It's been awhile since I ordered a copy, but
the Union of Concerned Scientists was selling it for $14.95 just a
couple of years ago. You can contact Jason Mathers:
[log in to unmask]  or Nancy Cole:  [log in to unmask] and inquire who is
handling their sales these days. The UCS phone number is: (800)
666-8276  and   (617) 547-5552.
     I wish us all the best in this critical culture-bridging effort.

     Cheers!

     Stefan Sommer

Dr. Stefan Sommer, Vice President
Association of College and University Museums and Galleries
<http://www.acumg.org>

Director of Education
Merriam Powell Center for Environmental Research <http://www.mpcer.nau.edu>

Associate Curator
Colorado Plateau Museum of Arthropod Biodiversity <http://bugs.bio.nau.edu>

Department of Biological Sciences <http://www3.nau.edu/biology>
Northern Arizona University
Campus Box 5640
Flagstaff, AZ  86001

(928) 523-4463     NAU office
(928) 214-6324     Home office
(928) 523-7500     fax
e-mail   [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>