ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
John Bowditch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 2004 13:56:17 -0500

Hi Jessy,

I'm so glad that you are working in this area. After 35 years working in the field, I'm convinced that this type of learning is what really we have to offer. The most successful exhibits I've seen over the years moved the visitor in ways that were deep and emotional, whether they be history exhibits like those done on the Japanese interment camps or the Holocaust, and science exhibits where the designers were willing to take risks ("Can Man Survive?", American Museum of Natural History, Ca 1972). Hands-On science where the effect was impressive and beautiful to look at are another example. The biggest failures are exhibits that are all  intellect,  "books on a wall" type exhibits that failed because they had no affective component to them.

Do let us know what you find out!

Thanks,

John Bowditch