HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Babson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 15:30:51 -0500
I know this has been cited as off topic, but:

David Brooks, author of the editorial, is an editor for the "Weekly
Standard," a paper founded by William Buckley, and usually an exponent
of Buckley's brand of patrician or condescending conservatism.  The
point of this editorial is to co-opt Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. into
the service of a kind of national religion (along with Washington,
Lincoln, even FDR and JFK and so forth), as someone subject to this
because he is safely dead, and can no longer protest such (mis)uses of
his person, speeches or writings.  As such, I don't think this is a
serious discussion of religion, or of the differences between religious
and secular viewpoints, or of anything else that really concerns
archaeology.

Except, of course, in the sense that any secular science, including
archaeology, is always available to be used in this manner.  I sometimes
think that we open ourselves, our data and our discipline to this
possibility in direct proportion to our success in reaching the publics
who support us.  We have general agreement that reaching the public is a
very desirable goal--any thoughts on the possible problems of achieving
that goal?  Of inevitably losing control of information and
interpretation, once it is successfully popularized?  Any experience in
trying to say:  "Wait, wait, that's NOT what I said!"--?

D. Babson.