HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Laird Niven <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2004 12:34:43 -0400
Hello all,
I have just been shown a collection of ceramics recovered by divers near the
naval dockyards in Halifax Harbour, Nova Scotia. The ceramics are almost
exclusively nineteenth century and there are many examples of regimental or
Royal Navy pieces. However, there are also quite a number of non-military
vessels that have been deeply inscribed with Roman numerals (usually on the
foot). There are also a couple of examples of regimental vessels with the
inscriptions as well, but they do not correspond with the transfer-printed
regimental number. I was wondering if anyone else has seen similar examples
from naval/military contexts?
Thanks.
Laird Niven
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia