ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
jasonJayStevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 2004 12:41:06 -0400

The leaves of the "Male-Stench Plant" on the Hawaiian Islands are
covered with a pattern of little bumps, reminiscent of that queer
little candy that comes attached to paper ("Dots"?).
It's a incredible texture; this particular Mid-Westerner was fascinated
by this and so many plants on the islands.  What really baffled me was
the name.  I couldn't detect any hint of masculine odor.  Perhaps I'm
too used to it (???) (horrible thought).

Common mullein is a nice plant to touch as well; and, being a tenacious
flora, it can withstand and degree of physical abuse, which might be
one of your considerations.

JasonJayStevens
exhibitDeveloper
annArborHands-OnMuseum